Monday, January 9, 2012

BatchBen #1: "I Know This Experience Can Work!"

I think it's nice to begin a new season with a healthy dose of optimism and hope. But the cynic in me wants to parse his words a bit:
1. "Know"-- Sure, if you're mindful enough about your usage of all the other words in the sentence, go for it.
2. "Experience" -- One step above "journey." This is a nice broad word, and so certainly correct. It will be...an experience, certainly.
3. "Can"-- I believe the usage here is the same as in "With enough hard work, you can do anything you want." That's a sweet thing to say to children with big dreams or adults with little bitty ones, but the reality is that there are certain inescapable limitations. In Ben's case, it's the collection of women picked out for him by producers of mass-market entertainment and not allowed to interact with him in any sort of normal fashion. Face it, buddy, it's a death march, and I hope your use of "can" is surrounded by asterisks.
4. "Work"-- Ah, here's a big net. "Work" as in find two soul mates? Well, that's one option. "Work" as in make me famous so I can find better babes? Another. Work as in sell more bottles of wine? Another. "Work" as in teach me important life lessons and otherwise unknowable things about myself independent of the person I end up choosing? You just stay optimistic, there, li'l buddy.

So what do you think about our hapless bachelor? Too good for this? Or does participation automatically downgrade a person from the start? What fatal character flaws do we see dooming this whole thing from the start? Or is he The One?

No comments:

Post a Comment